Thursday 4 February 2016

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Basics:
Title: To Kill A Mockingbird
Author: Harper Lee
Originally published: 1960
Pages: 309
Genre: Coming-of-age, Classic
Format: Paperback

Plot according to Goodreads:
"A gripping, heart-wrenching, and wholly remarkable tale of coming-of-age in a South poisoned by virulent prejudice, it views a world of great beauty and savage inequities through the eyes of a young girl, as her father ― a crusading local lawyer ― risks everything to defend a black man unjustly accused of a terrible crime."

My thoughts:
I had a mixed relationship with this book. I found it really slow at the beginning, really fast-paced in the middle (pages 80-200 ca) and the last part really dragging. Most books are slow in the beginning so I wasn't gonna let that stop me. During the books middle part if you could say that I really enjoyed it. The writing during the entire novel truly is amazing and so thought-through. The books consist of many events and how Scout and Jem deal with them is the main topic. However, during the last 80-100 pages, after the trial, I found that the book was dragging and the events did not contribute to the story. It was not until the last two chapters that things picked up again and returned to it's interesting writing style and fast pace. 

The characters are what makes this book so good and unique. Scout was definitely my favourite. I loved how smart she was for her age, yet still learning and you could still see the child in her. Atticus is probably the ultimate role model, not just for dads and raising kids, but really for anyone. I'm not gonna go into it that much but know that these characters are gold worth. 

4/5

Next review coming up: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

/Ingrid

No comments:

Post a Comment