Thursday 4 February 2016

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Basics:
Title: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Author: Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Originally published: 2005
Pages: 183
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Format: Paperback

Plot according to Goodreads:
"It all starts when Nick asks Norah to be his girlfriend for five minutes. He only needs five minutes to avoid his ex-girlfriend, who's just walked in to his band's show. With a new guy. And then, with one kiss, Nick and Norah are off on an adventure set against the backdrop of New York City--and smack in the middle of all the joy, anxiety, confusion, and excitement of a first date. "

My Thoughts: 
I read this book in two sittings. It was a perfect light read after reading To Kill A Mockingbird. I liked that the romance was not super excessive and althought there were some cringe-worthy moments, the overall feel made up for it. I really liked the characters, especially Nick. Though I found Norah's chapters rather boring and a serious lack of dialogue, it was all really fast-paced and just what you need after finishing a slow classic. I also liked that both of the characters were a bit more mature and there was not this constant nervousness surrounding sex and such things. I get why that is sometimes relatable but it was refreshing to read a book with experienced characters. Not that there was anything more than make-out action, but it gave a sort of calmness that they knew what they were doing. I'm rambling. I liked that music and bands played such a big part in the story and I have never really read anything like it. I may be biased since I did read this book at the perfect time (speaking of which, Ariel Bissett did a video on reading books at the perfect time which I highly recommend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xzADPOenF0) but I really loved it despite it's flaws. My review may be different if I re-read it in a few years, but for now:

5/5

Next review coming up: Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

/Ingrid

No comments:

Post a Comment