Monday 16 November 2015

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Basics:
Title: Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Originally published: 2013
Pages: 433
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult
Format: Hardcover

Plot:
Cath and her twin sister Wren are off to the same college. Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Along with the whole world. She and her twin sister, Wren, devoured the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving. Cath also writes Simon Snow fan-fiction. Wren used to be a part of it, however, since Wren grew out of the fandom they do not collaborate anymore. Wren and Cath are almost opposites. Wren is outgoing, confident and loves partying. Cath is quite introverted, has social anxiety and mostly spends her time in her room, writing fan-fiction. Fangirl is about Cath’s college experience and how she deals with her roommate, among others, while still taking care of her father.


My thoughts:
Forgive my casual language today, it’s just one of those days.[1]I did not expect to love this book as much as I did. I have read Eleanor and Park and loved that book (maybe not the ending) so it should not come as a surprise. Rainbow Rowell has a quirky writing style and the way she portraits these characters is just so relatable and makes the reader care for them. I felt some king of connection with every character except for Nick. Read the book and we can discuss that further. I think the last time I actually had a crush on a book character was Edward Cullen from Twilight back in 2009. It has been 6 years and I thought I had grown out of crushing on characters but Rainbow Rowell just threw me back on that band wagon when she created Levi. Normally, I would find it annoying how impeccable he is, but Rowell finds a way to make him so likable. That goes for all the characters.

I think what makes me likes this book so much, except for the characters, is how you I can relate to all of the characters in some way. Especially Cath. I too struggled with social anxiety as a kid and I could recognise myself in her thoughts and I totally understood what she was going through. Still, this novel is very fast-paced, up-beat, with both humorous and serious elements. This may one of the best contemporary novels I have ever read (although I don’t read much contemporary). I’ll have to think about that. However, I can’t recommend this book enough.





/Ingrid

Next review coming up: A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin



[1] Limp Bizkit – Break Stuff (if you’re having one of those days)

No comments:

Post a Comment